31 December 2008

New Year's Traditions


Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, SC

I have always liked New Year’s Eve. My mother's family was Scottish and made a bigger deal of it than Christmas. After my divorce I was so determined not to be sitting at home alone on New Year's Eve that I volunteered for the then active Charleston First Night Festival and the next year found myself on the board and Volunteer Coordinator for the event. I'd recruit hundreds of volunteers to staff the events all over town and spent the evening going from belly dancing to gospel singing checking on all the venues. By midnight I'd be freezing, exhausted and happy. Now I am completely content to socialize earlier and be safely home at the stroke of midnight.

Forget Hoppin’ John, I like the Scottish tradition of the First Footer bringing good luck.

Snopes.com New Year’s Beliefs
The first person to enter your home after the stroke of midnight will influence the year you’re about to have. Ideally, he should be dark haired, tall and good looking,(well, yes!) and it would be even better if he came bearing certain small gifts such as a lump of coal, a silver coin, a bit of bread, a sprig of evergreen, and some salt. Blonde and redhead first footers bring bad luck, and female first footers should be shooed away before they bring disaster down on the household. Aim a gun at them if you have to, but don’t let them near your door before a man crosses the threshold. ......First footers must not be cross-eyed or have flat feet or eyebrows that meet in the middle.

Now, how do I pull this off? A sign on the street? Heheh. Another site allows that whiskey would also be a welcome gift.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am running around all over trying to find people from JS. So you are found.
Roz

Anonymous said...

I am found. I have a new nest. Nice folks. Come back.

Connection Maven said...

My Scots ancestors must have taken this to heart as the males in my Browne side are all tall, very dark haired and good looking. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the "tall, dark and handsome" part, but if I was closer I could provide some mighty fine single malt scotch whiskey for select company. ;)

Happy New Year, Joan.

S

Anonymous said...

We are off to party tonight as well. I hope you have a good first footer :-)
Bob

Labetine said...

Happy New Year, Joan. :)

Doug said...

Happy New Year! I'm putting you on my blogroll.

lv2scpbk said...

Nice photo. Cute little bridge in the background.

Have a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Joan!

Judy said...

You have a great blog and interesting, beautiful photo's. Looking forward to more.