29 December 2008

Oh! that I could have died for Ireland.


Captain John Mitchell tomb, Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC

Late September of this year I received an email from a gentleman in Ireland who had found one of my cemetery photo albums online. He loved what he had found, but needed a photograph of a specific tomb. He'd gone through all of my pictures and not finding it, wondered if I would mind tracking it down at Magnolia Cemetery and taking the picture for him. He was writing a book about a Captain John Mitchell who had died on the parapet of Fort Sumter during the bombardment in 1864. The book was ready to go to press that Monday except for a blank spot that needed a picture of our hero's tomb.

Cool! A cemetery assignment. I tend to hang out at there anyway and Magnolia on upper Meeting Street is certainly a favorite. A friend who worked close to the area pre-scouted the location. It was important to feature the coping around the grave that was designed in the shape of the parapet at Fort Sumter where Captain Mitchell died.

"I willingly give my life for South Carolina; Oh! that I could have died for Ireland."

It was the day of the Lowcountry Heart Walk and as soon as I finished I went up, took the picture and emailed it to the author in the nick of time to get the book to his publisher. He wrote back thanking me and let me know he had made a $150 donation to my Heart Walk team in honor of his parents.

So many delightful connections have come about because of the internet and blogging. Give a shy girl a digital camera and a mouse and there is no telling what might happen. It makes me feel very fortunate that this all technological progress happened in my lifetime.

Okay kids. I had a peaceful day at worked but rushed home to meet a handyman who found the exact valve we needed to get my gas log fireplace working again. Bless him.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful story! Isn't it amazing? :-)

Anonymous said...

An assignment ! Nice. Nice to be able to do something like that for someone so far away!

MrScribbler said...

"Give a shy girl a digital camera and a mouse..." What, the mouse carries the camera for you? ;-)

Don't think you're shy, really...but you do run a mean camera!

becomingkate said...

I loved this story! How wonderful for you two to have connected. Blogging really makes the world a smaller place.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the leaps and bounds that technology has advanced in a relatively short time. When I was a kid, color TV's came out, there was no such thing as a remote, computers? Lol. Now our society is totally dependent on this stuff! That is an amazingly quality photo.
ben

Anonymous said...

MrScribbler - Of course I am shy. That's why the internet is so good for me. :)

becomingkate - It really does. Such amazing things happen across such great distances.

Ben - It is happening so fast now. I can't even imagine what things will be like ten years from now. Thanks on the photo!

Julie said...

A shy girl - you? Wouldn't have picked it.

Love the post. Really affirmative ...

Leeds daily photo said...

Hi Joan
What a great quote.."I willingly give my life for South Carolina; Oh! that I could have died for Ireland".
Thats the joy of the internet, you just never know what is around the corner.

Anonymous said...

I would love to spend more time in old historic Charleston and see such sights as this. Your city is "history buff heaven". :)

S

Anonymous said...

Joan, this is where you are par-excellence...you bring your photos to life in wonderful ways. Good thing I found you here so I can keep up with your adventures.

Belgrade Daily Photo said...

I also wonder how things will be technology-wise 10 years from now.
This is such a nice story. I was also contacted by someone about using some of my photos in a publication, just through my blog alone. It's fun.

Dave Linder said...

Love your photos - and I really have a place in my heart for Magnolia Cemetery as well - It's one of my favorite places to draw in Charleston. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

12 comments! What fun to come home to. I was feeling all grouchy until I read all these. Thank you so much.

Dave Linder: Cool! I am sure we have some of the same views. We need to get you listed with the Lowcountry Blogroll. I will submit you if I may.

Belgrade: It is fun. I have had a few other similar connections. It is a delight.

Burstmode: Thank you. I was glad to find you. I am enjoying the larger photo format.

lowandslow: Must be getting time for you and Kelly to come back here.

Paul: Exactly! The surprise is the fun.

Julie: 'Fraid so. I hide it better these days.

Dave Linder said...

Thanks for the tip on the Lowcountry Blogroll - that's a handy little site!