25 January 2009

Church Photo in Lieu of Attendance


Bethany Cemetery, Charleston, SC

This sweet little chapel is from a cemetery walk I took in the fog a couple of weekends ago at Bethany Cemetery on upper Meeting St.

For our Church Photo in Lieu of Attendance entry this week, I am borrowing this poem from Sun Pours Down Like Honey in honor of Robbie Burn's Day. My grandparents were Scottish so this is very familiar to me.

The Selkirk Grace
(attributed to Robert Burns)
Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit


I hope everyone has had a good weekend. Now I am off to scramble to do all my chores in the last few hours of the weekend. In a few minutes I'll have the dishwasher running, the clothes washing, the dining room table cleared off and all my bills and paper work lined up to take care of while I watch "Big Love".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

these little chapels make good photographic subjects...
the art on the stones are wonderful

Hilda said...

Very peaceful church and cemetery. I like the design on the tombstone you chose as the foreground of the photo.

Pat said...

Great minds think alike, Joan - Kathie has blogged about Robert Burns' birthday too!

Anonymous said...

Did you make it to a Rabbie Burns supper. We did, wore my kilt and all. By the way are you going back to Scotland for the Homecoming of the clans in July. Supposed to be a big party this year being Rabbie 250th birthday.
Bob

Dorrie said...

darn, I keep missing your journal because you don't have that "follow this blog" widget and every time I make changes in my layout, it deletes my pre-arranged widget adjustments! grrrr

Judy said...

So pretty, that red roof just pops.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jarart: This was a foggy morning. It really is a brilliant red.

Dorrie: It has been hard to keep up with everyone.

Bob: Nope, I did not make it to a Robbie Burns supper. I can picture you in your fancy duds. :)

Hilda, Nazee: We have such lovely old cemeteries here.

GirlBlogger said...

Beautiful! You'd never believe how many Bethany cemetery/Churches there are. Every time I see one Fin had to stop the car. Except in Belize, where we were on a tour bus. :)

Bethany

Charlestonjoan said...

Bethany - That is priceless! Glad I found a good one for you.