09 January 2009

Looks like they built it. Again.


Pyramid Tomb, Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC

Charleston has a pyramid. Paris has a Statue of Liberty. Japan has an Eiffel Tower. Today's news claims that a gentleman in Atlanta is going to have to sell his replica of the White House and Filmmaker Ahsanullah Moni has built a life-size replica of the Taj Mahal in Bangladesh.

Shah Jahan thought he had taken care of the problem of someone copying the Taj Mahal by chopping off the hands of his top stone masons so they couldn't build another one. Do we still do that?

7 comments:

gogouci said...

Very interesting looking cemetery. I can always find quite a bit to photograph in one.

Anonymous said...

gogouci: I can too. This is a beautiful old one called Magnolia Cemetery.

Les said...

One of the best things about the internet is being able to stumble onto a blog like yours. I lived in Charleston for three years and moved shortly after Hugo. Your photos remind me why I liked it so much down there. Thank You!

Doug said...

They should chop off the hands of any guitar player attempting Smoke on the Water or Freebird.
:-)

I have only photographed one cemetery so far, and not our largest one. It is a rather long walk to get there...

Anonymous said...

I don't know about chopping off entire hands, but we still cut off fingers one at a time. The process begins in high school shop class. ;)

S

Anonymous said...

Les: What a lovely comment. I see my friend "Tales for the Laboratory" is on your blog roll so you keep good company. I am going to spend some time going through your lovely pictures.

Doug: Ha! There is an idea!

lowandslow: It does, doesn't it! I learned the bit about him cutting off their hands when I was a kid in school and never forgot it.

Anonymous said...

I love pyramids, i want to be buried in one.