03 February 2009

Uuumm....this was taken where?


Oyotunji African Village, SC

I received an email some time ago from a gentleman explaining that he worked for a production company and was putting together a video about a mission trip to Africa. He was missing one shot and thought he had found what he needed going through my online album. He needed a picture of an African medicine man and found this picture.

I explained that there was one little teeny, tiny problem. I've never been to Africa.

The picture was taken right here in the lowcountry at the Oyotunji African Village. It looks like they are still in operation, are taking their show on the road and have a special event coming up this month.

11 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Another place in South Carolina that I have probably been within five miles of on at least three occasions and not stopped to see.

Charlestonjoan said...

It's a quirky little place, that's for sure.

Judy said...

I can see why they used this shot. Very nice.

Doug said...

Joan to the rescue, one continent removed :-)

Greg C said...

I have never been there but have driven by it. I was curious what it was all about.

Unknown said...

What a very interesting story! The photo is fantastic and it could really be in Africa, no one will ever know it's not! :-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Ya gotta admit I am creative in my Heart Walk fundraising!

Greg C - the place is indeed a curiosity.

Thank you all for your comments. It makes it fun to come home from work and read them all.

Anonymous said...

Nice shot. In the mid-1970s I worked as the "sign man" for the SCHD maintenance office in Beaufort County. Would often leave a pile of broken wooden sign posts at driveway entrance to the village. I must have received some good juju for doing this as life for me is beautiful.
Just to shake every thing up, unless the witch doctor provided written consent, his privacy was perhaps stolen when the video company used his picture.

Anonymous said...

Joe - Ouch. Point taken. I rarely think of it since I am not dealing with photos for profit and people are clearly posing for my camera. I am going to take that part out of my entry to avoid any issues by future googlers.

Gary said...

I've been there. I actually also wanted to add it to a livingsocial "5 Famous landmarks that I have seen" survey, but it was not available. Would it be okay to use this picture of yours to add it to the list?

Charlestonjoan said...

Gary: yes, of course!