09 March 2009

My Talented Family


Alexei Perry & Dan Boeckner, Handsome Furs, Village Tavern, Mt. Pleasant, SC 2008

Reading my niece Alexei Perry's My Space page to see where their band Handsome Furs is playing makes my head spin. From Toronto to Texas, they hit Utrecht, Brussels, Belgrade, Krakow, Berlin, Lisbon all before the end of May.

These kids are on a roll and look like they are having the time of their lives. Last year I happened to glance at the calendar and was stunned to see they were scheduled to play the Village Tavern in Mt. Pleasant in the middle of an East Coast trip. Alexei had visited Charleston as a kid but probably hadn't connected that Mt. Pleasant was just across the river. No such luck this year but if you like Indie Rock their new album goes on sale today.

FACE CONTROL is the second album by Montreal’s Handsome Furs, 2007’s Plague Park was their first. Alexei Perry and Dan Boeckner wrote the songs on FACE CONTROL together. The album was recorded and mixed by Arlen Thompson at Mount Zoomer. It was mastered by Harris Newman at Hotel2Tango. It will be released on March 10th, 2009.

Yep. That talented bundle of energy is my niece. :))

8 comments:

Pat said...

No surprise here that talent runs in your family, Joan - look at you!

Maybe you could be their band photographer when they're famous...

Judy said...

Very Very Cool.

Charlestonjoan said...

Pat: They really are famous! Everyone in Montreal know who they were when we were there for their wedding. I felt like I was at a celebrity wedding. Very cool.

Jarart: Cool indeed.

Doug said...

I like their music. I listened to a few songs on their Myspace page an now I'm watching a couple of videos. They even have a place on the Wikipedia. Very cool, Joan.

Anonymous said...

Doug - they are pretty popular in Canada and Europe. Based in Montreal now.

Steve said...

Wow! Theyre pretty good! Nice to see real progression in one of my favorite places. Funny, I can remember a day not so long ago when bands like this would have met with hostility in Charleston, let alone Mt.Pleasant!! Oh the stories I could tell you of being a punk rocker in charleston in the 80's!! as always, your blog rules!

Anonymous said...

I have a problem understanding the words (blurry hearing) but love the beat. Thanks for turning me on to them.

b_in_sc

Charlestonjoan said...

Steve - Thank you! Punk rocker in the 80's....I want pictures, I do!

Anon - You are welcome. Alexei does all the keyboard magic. She is a bundle of energy.