15 April 2009

Playing with the big kids toys


SCRUBS "U" Health Careers, Charleston, SC

I'm getting old. Ending the evening with fifty teenagers exploring surgical careers has ended the day with me crashed on my couch. Yawn.

The nurses outdid themselves. They handed out safety glasses and let them use a laser to burn their name into a wooden tongue blade. I was relieved we didn't set off any smoke detectors. They laid out plastic bones and let them practice orthopedic surgery with drills and screws. Pretty cool stuff. It's nice to see kids appreciating the opportunity to learn something they are really interested in.

2 comments:

MrScribbler said...

You're so brave, Joan!

Bothers me enough when big people with training and experience come my way with them surgical tools.... ;-)

Charlestonjoan said...

These instruments weren't aimed at me. Most of the time. ;)