08 April 2009

Star Search - Not


Kiawah Beach, SC

I play talent scout a lot and enjoy it. I suggest folks for photo shoots and on occasion tv spots. I choose interesting characters for profiles in local publications. I get a real kick out of it.

Our health system recently decided to stop buying stock photos for brochures and newsletters and hired a photographer. They use employees as models and often ask me to pick one of my volunteers. Volunteers have posed as patients, grandparents and support group members and we look forward to seeing their pictures in print. I had lined up one of my gentlemen for a photo shoot at Kiawah this afternoon when they said they wanted me in it as well.

Huh?

I work behind the camera not in front of it. This was a whole new game and I enjoyed watching a professional photographer in action and aim to steal as many ideas as I can. It was windy and cold at the beach this afternoon. Photographer Mic Smith patiently tried to get us to smile into blinding sun with sand blowing in our eyes. Our hair was whipped to shreds. If he can get our motley crew to look good for this project he deserves all the credit. I think I can still crunch the sand grit in my teeth.

Meanwhile, not the professional shot here but check out my fancy bonnet. It took both hands to hold it on in the wind. Fun note - I got to pose in a "grandma" shot pushing an adorable little gal on a swing. I think I'll send it to my kids. Heh.

7 comments:

GingGoy said...

that must be an enjoyable work. working with photographers and meeting people. love the shot...i have a collection of "photographing the photographers" :P

Unknown said...

Great Pics JP.

Julia said...

Nice hat, I think you make a super model! Isn't it interesting how just hanging out with another photographer is a great way to learn how to get better shots? Photographers never seem stingy about sharing their tips and tricks and I very much appreciate that.

becomingkate said...

You look great in a hat! I think it's nice that your organization can save a little money by doing their own photography.

Judy said...

A fun idea to use the people who work there. That photographer has a dream job, I think. Love the hat,BTW.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks folks! He had a challenge to make us look good. I had to hold the hat on with both hands in the wind.

Doug said...

I like "shooting the shooter" from time to time, while they are in the act, so to speak.

I already have way too many photos of me :-)