30 May 2009

Spoleto Craft Show Fun


Isn't this amazing? I enlarged just the inside feature. The artist was Nicario Jimenez, Artist of the Andes.




Shao Lin Xia CanDoPlanes. These tickled me to no end. The artist was an aerospace engineer who was laid off and started making airplanes out of soda cans. I bought a little coca cola plane to hang in my kitchen window. They looked delightful spinning in the breeze.


Meghan Runkle of Rare Earth Studio had these fun handbag teapots for sale and I had to take a picture for our local Tea Blogger.




Alan Daigre Handcrafted Chairs is the official featured artist of Charleston Daily Photo. It's only fair since he is renting my upstairs room. I had the apartment empty after my tenant skipped and happened to notice a "Spoleto Artist needs room..." ad on Craiglist. I slapped some paint up last weekend and dusted it down in time for him to have a handy place to stay within walking distance of the show.

Wow. His handcrafted rocking chairs are amazing. Since the individual pieces of wood are roped together they gently give when you settle in. Every person who sat in them "oooohed" and "aaaaahed". Go ahead. If you get to the show at Wragg Square tomorrow, sit and rock a spell and say "hey" to Alan from Tennessee.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs and a wonderful blog.

Thank you.

joan said...

Haha! I got a comment from the crabbyoldfart! That's cool!

B SQUARED said...

Always wanted to take in The Spoleto.

Charlestonjoan said...

B Squared - And I am ashamed to say that that was the first Spoleto thing I have done this year. Last weekend got all caught up with home repair. I haven't gone to see a single show. Shame on me. At least I walked through the art this morning.

Doug said...

I like the metal can toys. A lot of steel toys like robots and friction cars from Japan in the 50s and 60s were made using soup cans and similar containers. If you look inside some of them, you can see the original painted on labels.

I want that band playing in the top picture!
:-)

Marcheline said...

Word to the wise - wear long pants when sitting in a rocking chair with a seat made of spreading tiles! Shorts will only do in a pinch.

8-)

Anonymous said...

What treasures!

Charlestonjoan said...

wildstorm - It is a juried show, so usually quality stuff.

Marcheline - Ha! Okay, so none of these rocking chairs in a nudist camp. Gotcha :)

Doug - I fell in love with those little tin can toys!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Thanks for the piccie of the handbag teapots, Joan!

Charlestonjoan said...

Denise - You are most welcome. I had to tell the artist about your blog so she wouldn't think I was stealing the craft idea for myself. "Seriously, I know this lady who has a tea blog...."

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you like my father's artwork and I want you to visit his website http://www.retablosnicario.com or his FB Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Retablos-Nicario-Jimenez/