26 August 2009

I Heart This River


Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, S.C.

Can you read it? It says "I heart this river". Sweet.

I am so incredibly weary. Long days all this week trying to tie up loose ends before I leave town. That's what happens with many so balls bouncing at once. It takes too many plans to keep them all bouncing when I step out of the picture. I hit the couch and nodded off after my two pieces of left over pizza and hadn't even started packing yet.

I am heading to Phoenix, Arizona in the morning for the national conference for Association for Healthcare Volunteer Resource Professionals. I actually present to the big kids this year so think positive thoughts for me at 2:30 on Friday.

Checking the temperature charts for Phoenix just now I found this:

Phoenix, Arizona
Excessive heat warning in effect from 10 am to 8 PM MST Thursday...
Excessive heat warning in effect from 10 am to 8 PM MST Friday...

Thursday
Sunny and hot. Highs 106 to 111. Northeast wind around 5 mph in the morning...becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

Blah. Just what I want when I leave Charleston. More heat warnings.

So, what's good in Phoenix, kids? Anything I should check out?

9 comments:

Catalyst said...

The Arizona Diamondbacks return for a 3-day weekender with the Houston Astros. Game time Friday night is about 7 p.m. and Chase Field is in a domed stadium: air conditioned! You might try Alice Cooperstown if you're in downtown...not far from the ballpark. If you have a rental car, drive up to Prescott Valley and I (and my wife) will take you to dinner!

Halcyon said...

At least it's a dry heat in Phoenix. I find it much more bearable than this heat + humidity we get in the south!

Cullen said...

If you're staying at the Chapparral Suites(owned by Embassy Suites) in Scottsdale, they have free hot breakfast and free happy hour! At least they did last time I was there.

Charlestonjoan said...

Catalyst - I wish! I won't be there long enough or free long enough to rent a car. I also serve as event photographer and get a comped room and tuition. That means I have to show up at everything. Last year I did get to meet a blogging buddy! We had a great visit.

Halcyon - I am depending on it!

Cullen - I'll be at the Arizona Blitmore in Phoenix. I hear I need to get to Scottsdale though.

BethanyC said...

Joan, hope you have a great trip and the presentation goes well.

Anonymous said...

Hope and know all will go well,'break a leg'or what ever should be said to presenters. Sally

Judy said...

Joan, not to worry, "it's a dry heat". LOL

joan said...

Yikes. 112 degrees! This is ridiculous. I am in a room all the way across the parking lot as far as possible from the conference center.

Anonymous said...

The river doesn't seem like much to love, but to each their own, I guess...

Have fun in Phoenix, I'm sure that it will be hot...but then again it is the desert, as mentioned, it is dry heat, but still hot is hot, even without humidity, it's still hot.