22 August 2009

The Sanctuary on Kiawah


The Sanctuary, Kiawah, S.C.

Six of my girlfriends and I took a day trip this morning, heading for lunch at the Sanctuary at Kiawah.

Wow. It is so beautiful. I know when they designed it, they wanted it to look like it had been there over-looking the ocean forever and they were successful. We had lunch at the Jasmine Porch, were treated extra specially by O.T. (who claimed the initials stood for Over Time) and were surprised with complimentary desserts before we wandered outside. I felt like I was walking through magazine pages.

If you haven't been, you really should visit. You tell them at the gate that you are visiting the Sanctuary. They have a few lovely shops and an ice cream parlor in the lobby. We stopped at Fields Farms on Johns Island on the way back for fresh tomatoes and peaches as if we were going to be hungry again at any time in the near future.

Time to go, kids. Man vs Food - Charleston is on the Travel Channel.


7 comments:

MrScribbler said...

From the outside, that resort looks exactly, but exactly, like a place where I stayed on Mallorca a few years ago. I wanna go back....

Charlestonjoan said...

Heya Mr. S! Nice to see you. This place made me feel like a village girl coming to town. It was lovely.

jusdealem said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the interior shot. I worked for Kiawah prior to moving back to Virginia. At the time, the Sanctuary was just a drawing on some architect's desk. Nice to see it was completed, and so elegantly too.

Les @ atidewatergardener.blogspot.com

Charlestonjoan said...

Les - They really did a lovely job. It does not look like a new building in any way.

Anonymous said...

about two years ago the "girls" of the family (10 in all of cousins, mothers, sisters) went on a 3 day weekend to the Santuary....

I think my father-in-law is still paying it off. It's a nice place, but it ain't cheap.

JFH

Joan said...

JFH - I can't even imagine! We were treated special - a friend made a call and a bottle of champagne appeared as well as the yummy desserts. Lucky us!