19 September 2009

His bill can hold more than his belican


Pelican, James Island County Park, Charleston, S.C.

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill will hold more than his belican.
He can take in his beak
Food enough for a week,
But I’m damned if I see how the helican.

I walked at James Island Country Park this morning because I needed to trade in the gift certificate they sent me when they used one of my photos on their web site for a Gold Park Pass. Not bad at all! The park is a great place to walk and the pass will let me park at the Pier on Folly Beach without paying $7 each time. It made me immediately start looking for another photo to submit.

Here is the scoop on photo submission in case any of you want to have a go at it.

Sure. Now that it is dark I feel like doing yard work. I have an impressive pile of greenery pulled up. I hope they are weeds. It's too dark to tell.

6 comments:

MrScribbler said...

I love pelicans! I can stare at the locals -- who number in the high hundreds now, thank goodness, though they were nearing extinction a few years ago -- for hours....

Did Ogden Nash write the poem? I've heard it before, but never knew who to blame for it!

eamon@ewmphotography said...

Good photo, post and title!

Charlestonjoan said...

MsScribbler-Looks like a Dixon Lanier Merritt wrote it in 1910 and then there were a few similar versions after that.

Eamon - Thank you!

Susan Moorhead said...

Gosh, my Dad recited that all the time...and I love love love pelicans.

Charlestonjoan said...

Gosh...as soon as you said that I think I recall my Dad reciting it too.

chucker said...

I just found out that the original bird in the Guinness ads was a pelican. It was pictured with 7 pints balanced on its beak...holding more than its belly can.

Shortly thereafter, they switched to the toucan. That campaign started with just two pints balanced and said "two a day is good for you."

Guinness also uses an ostrich, etc.

[Noted at the St. James Street Brewery in Dublin, Ireland last week.]