26 December 2009

The Great Grandmama of the Live Oaks


Angel Oak, Johns Island, S.C.

I am having a solitary day and paid a visit to the grandmother of all oak trees - the Angel Oak on Johns Island. I could have stayed all morning offering to take family pictures of fellow tree worshipers so they could all be in their pictures. It's a peaceful crowd who come to wander under limbs so heavy they curl around on the ground propped on blocks of wood. Visitors nod as if we recognize each other aware of why we've come.

She is a difficult tree to get a picture of and the results are always disappointing after the grandeur of the experience. I'll be back to try again.
According to SCIWay
The Angel Oak on Johns Island is believed to be between 500 and 1,500 years old, making it one of the oldest live oaks in the country. While its height of 65 feet may not be impressive, the shaded area covered by its foliage extends over 17,000 square feet!

Edit: Check out this same day entry: Laughing Soul

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow !! What a tree, a well deserved rest for you I'm sure. Sally

Anonymous said...

Considering how truly hard it is to get a picture of this tree, you did an awsome job. Pam D.

Charlestonjoan said...

Sally - I have had a lazy weekend. Back to the madhouse and another funeral tomorrow. Some friends have had sadness this holiday.

Pam D - It is glorious! Everyone seems to talk in hushed voices under the tree.

Judy said...

Amazing! I always get such a feeling of awe when in the presence of such an ancient being. I think you did a great job of capturing it for all of us to see.

Nancy Chisum said...

What a grand old tree! I love it!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Boy, that is one big motha' : ) A grand dame she is.

Julia said...

I love your angles; I think the second in particular is about the best that can be got of her, really.