22 June 2010

The old blue stable


Smith St., Charleston, S.C.

This building is behind the old McAlister's Funeral Home on the corner of Wentworth and Smith St. The building is still there although no longer operating as a funeral home.

I've wondered about this old structure at the back of the property. I imagined it to be a stable and housing for horse drawn funeral hearsts but googling around I discovered that it was the stable of the original property that burned down before the funeral home was built and probably dates to the 1800's. The information I found said it was constructed entirely with wood pins and no screws or nails.

There are neato bits of history everywhere in Charleston.

4 comments:

Katharine said...

Verra cool.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Ancestral house of the Syiem of Mylliem,beyond Upper Shillong where the annual Nongkrem dance is held.That too is supposed to have been held together by nonmetalic items.The grounds of that house is also used for divinations and it is beleived that iron nails bar spirits.There is so much to be known about the Seng Khasi beleifs.The Mylliem House may be simple with its thatched roof, but it is a symbol of the administrative system of the Khasi Chieftains. NAMRATA

Julia said...

I never knew that about the stable either, even though I grew up across the street! Very cool to know.

(If you ever have a chance, I'd love to see 155 Wentworth again ;-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Anon - I thought of that when I read it. I'd like to have a chance to take pictures of that building as well! Someday.

Julia - When you go to the discussion link it looks like there was talk of tearing down the funeral home building and putting up condos. I'll take a couple more in that corner for you!