18 August 2010

Church Photo in Lieu of Attendance - St. Luke's


St. Luke's Chapel, Ashley Ave., Charleston, S.C.

I took this picture fairly late in the evening and then noticed the bird on the cross. Check that out! I am sure someone here knows what kind of bird it is. Osprey? Not the clearest shot but here is a larger view.

St. Luke's is the Medical University of S.C. Chapel and as always when I post a picture and google around for info to include, I learn something myself:

St. Luke's Chapel: This popular non-denominational wedding location, located at the corner of Ashley Avenue and Bee Street, was originally part of a Federal arsenal built between 1825 and 1832 by the United States government. It was later obtained in 1879 by the Reverend Anthony Toomer Porter for the education of boys orphaned or left destitute by the Civil War. In 1883 Dr. Porter converted the artillery shed into a chapel. The building served Porter Academy students from 1883 to 1965.

The Medical College (now Medical University) of South Carolina took possession of the property at that time. The Chapel was rededicated on April 17, 1966, and renamed to honor the important biblical figure, St. Luke the Physician.

In September of 1989, Hurricane Hugo severely damaged the building, and most of its contents were destroyed or made useless. The rebuilding of the chapel began as soon as possible and it now meets modern standards of comfort and efficiency while retaining almost all of the building's historical appearance.



11 comments:

Catalyst said...

Vulture?

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Great shots and it does look like an osprey.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Matt said...

I think it may be a juvenile red-tailed hawk.

http://www.carolinabirdclub.org/gallery/Cathy_Miller/rtha.html

LeeAnne Ward said...

I thought osprey at first, too, but since I happen to have my Sibley's right here -- I have to agree with Matt in that it is mostly likely a juvenile red-tailed hawk. There's a slight possibility it's a juvenile bald eagle but probably not. Hard to tell for sure with the backlight and not knowing exactly what size it is. Not osprey and definitely not vulture.

Charlestonjoan said...

I knew we would have some experts! Thanks folks! Red Tailed Hawk - I like that.

Anonymous said...

I hope I am correct in stating this: Anthony Toomer Porter's school later became the Porter School which later became Porter-Gaud. Right this moment, I can't recall the name of Porter's school...Christ Institute??? Someone with more knowlege of Charleston's history will have to chime in on this.
Anne Wiggins Smith

Anonymous said...

I am an active birder with a North American life list of 707 birds. The one depicted is a Red-tailed Hawk. The photo does not provide sufficient detail upon which to conclude that it is a juvenile or an adult.

F. Glenn Smith
Aiken

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks F. Glenn Smith: It was rather dark and out of camera range. I was happy I spotted him at all.

Anne Wiggin Smith - I bet someone will chime in! Thanks for the background info.

Namrata said...

You needn't be apologetic about being outside a church more than inside, on Sundays.You have done more(for connoiseurs of good photos) by taking in through the eyes instead of the ears.And according to Alexander Pope,"Some to Church repair/Not for the doctrine,but the music there".So centuries ago too,seemingly serious Church attenders were all ears but more for the melodious music,which must have rung in their ears longer after they left the Church premises.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know anything about the painting inside the chapel? Who is the artist? Title of the painting? It seems to depict Christ and a cherub, maybe? I was there for a wedding recently and was not able to study it very well.

Charlestonjoan said...

I do not. I haven't been inside for many years. Hopefully someone will know more than I.