29 August 2010

Sea Shell Heaven





Botany Bay, Edisto Island, S.C.

One of the most frequently googled string of words searched for that lands people on this blog is "best beach for shells". It makes me very protective of our beaches and I hesitate to mention where they are. Sssshhh!

I can't resist this time though. Botany Bay is a shell lovers heaven and the worshipers have been at play. Shells were propped on the tips of giant driftwood branches and hung like christmas ornaments on skeleton trees.

There are signs asking visitors not to remove sea shells from the beaches so please respect that. Perhaps an exception can be made for the artist who painted the shell and brought it back to lay it on display in a tree trunk.

I skipped and danced from one display to the next. I love this place.

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Really nice! When I was a kid plenty of couch shells still could be found on Pawleys Island.

Randy said...

I would love to go hunting for shells there! Great photos.