26 December 2010

Shepard Fairey Art on Spring St.


Spring St., Charleston, S.C.

Scooped. I've been scooped!

I've taken a zillion pictures of this old building, the doors, the locks and the hand painted signs through the years, but missed this Shepard Fairey installation until I read about it on 53 Cannon. The former auto repair shed is now Eye Level Art but until recently had remained relatively unchanged on the outside.

Street artist Shepard Fairey was recently featured in the documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop that played briefly at the Terrace Theater and on the Stephen Colbert show. He did the controversial poster of President Obama and the original Obey stickers.

I spotted a couple of the Obey Giant stickers in Charleston recently and loved the little "Marks A Lot" addition below them. Ha!


4 comments:

Pamela said...

This is fabulous! I must go check it out soon!!

Commander Zaius said...

I don't know the first thing about art but looking at the first picture it reminds me of a cross between 1960's British fashion model Twiggy and a Soviet worker's poster.

Don't get me wrong I really like it, that was just my impression.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I have rediscovered Joan!!

I love this guy's work and your photos of it.

Charlestonjoan said...

Pamela - It is cool! This was the first time I have ever been threatened for taking a picture. There was an elderly gent with a cane down the street walking slowly towards the scene. He yelled "If you take a picture of me I am going to come over and beat your mo$@er fu$&ing white ass!" I had to laugh. I wasn't too worried.

BeachBum - Agree. I can see the Soviet Worker in it.

burstmode - Yeah! Love your recent work and will check back often.