16 January 2011

The Queen of Marmalade


Tradd St., Charleston, S.C.

My walk this morning was bright and sunny and took me down to the waterfront around the Coast Guard Station.

I was looking out over the scene when I spotted this tiny scrap of paper glued to the top of a post and pushed the leaves out of the way to read it. It is an advertisement! The bushes were full of tiny citrus fruit, most green but a few turning orange. I wonder if any will survive the cold we've had. If they do I now know where to get a fat pint of the Queen of Marmie!

8 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

O sweet serendipity! Nothing beats good marmalade.

Charlestonjoan said...

I know - I am going to call her.

Commander Zaius said...

Queen of Marmie

Now that's the stuff that gives Charleston its character.

Charlestonjoan said...

Beach Bum - I thought, who but me would stand here and notice this scrap of paper? It isn't a high traffic area and the paper was almost covered with growth. So cute.

Lowandslow said...

A "fat pint"? Never heard that experssion before. Would that be a quart? Whatever, I'll bet it's delicious.

S

Charlestonjoan said...

It is new to me as well. Can't wait to find out what it is.

Anonymous said...

I have one of these little trees. It has oranges all year and is extremely hardy. The little fruit is very sour, but with an incredible orange flavor and aroma. They would make great marmalade.

Charlestonjoan said...

Kathy - do you! I am going to call her one day when I can walk back that way and get some.