20 March 2011

Boar Skull Still Life


Wild Boar Skull, Charleston, S.C.

My what lovely sharp teeth you have!

When my Upstairs and Downstairs tenants knocked on my door Thursday evening with a bottle of champagne to celebrate an "Upstairs" success, the conversation eventually turned to the best way to clean a carcass. Doesn't it always?

They were aware I had an alligator skull that had been cleaned by burying it for months in the backyard and presented to me for Mother's Day many years ago. What is the best way to clean bones? Beetles, boiling, crabs? In any case, by the end of the night Upstairs took me into his kitchen where he was putting the final drying touches to a wild boar's skull in his oven and gave it to me.

A few of you had asked for photos so here is the fierce looking addition to my home decor.

9 comments:

Lowandslow said...

And a fine looking boar's skull it is, too. Talk about the ultimate conversation piece! I like...thanks for sharing. :)

S

Doug Hickok said...

The perfect addition to any household! It goes wonderfully with the cactus :^)

Leif Hagen said...

I love the mirror, beautiful lamp and antique table! Cozy!

Kristen said...

It's definitely the gift that keeps giving.
It was great running into you. The sunset that night was gorgeous over the harbor.

Charlestonjoan said...

Lowandslow - Thank you! I think it is pretty dramatic.

Doug - the "must have" accessory. Who knew? :)

Leif- thank you! It all has a light layer of yellow pollen dust this week.

Kristen - I am so glad you stopped me! I met a few other photographer/bloggers at the walk yesterday. Fun!

Pixel Peeper said...

"Still life with boar head."

LOL. It would make the ideal item to throw at anyone breaking into your house!

Charlestonjoan said...

Pixel - yes - I might at least scare the person!

Marcheline said...

I LOVE THIS. On that table. With that lamp. Ab fab!!!!

Susan Moorhead said...

WAAAY cool :)