19 July 2011

Put the kettle on, let's do some yard work!


Meeting St., Charleston, S.C.

One of my favorite hand painted signs. This one is gone, painted over. She was on an old kitchen supply place on upper Meeting St. I may get it printed for my kitchen.

How lazy am I? I read that you could kill weeds with boiling water so every evening I put the kettle on and pour boiling water on the weeds that sneak up between the bricks in my yard. Can't be sure if it is working yet but it sure beats crawling around pulling them up. Put the kettle on, let's do some yard work!

I rushed home to meet Greg the Terminex guy for his once a year pest control visit. If he puts down enough chemicals to kill giant roaches for a full year can you imagine what I am inhaling tonight? I tried to take deep enough breaths on my walk that I would be able to hold my breath all evening.

Someone wants to interview ME about fashion in the workplace tomorrow. Ha! That is pretty funny. What shall I wear, what shall I wear? Something blue, something black or something blue and black just like every other day?

12 comments:

Les said...

That dishwater must be ice cold, her lips have turned blue.

Charlestonjoan said...

Not the shade I should wear for my fashion interview tomorrow then?

Anonymous said...

i often wonder about those chemicals ( we have giant cockroaches - eastern seaboard - although not in the depths of winter

Cindy Hunter Morgan said...

Boiling water would seem like a tremendous stress. I always save my corn water and water a plant with it. But I let it cool first. Next time I'll just scald some Creeping Charlie. Your post title made me chuckle. Thanks for that...

Lowandslow said...

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

So will we be seeing you next on magazine covers or the Silver Screen? :)

S

Charlestonjoan said...

maggsworld - ours decrease in the winter but it doesn't get cold enough to really stop them. We feel better if we just name them and consider them pets. ;)

Cindy - Nice to have you here!

Lowandslow - Neither, she writes for a blog.

chuckography said...

Years ago I had my teenage son dribble gasoline on weeds in the driveway to kill them. Minutes later he yelled and I saw he had lighted the gas. Don't do that. True story.

Catalyst said...

Hot pink!

Charlestonjoan said...

Chuck - they sell a system called a Red Dragon that uses a propane tank and wand. You actually do burn the weeds. I am tempted!

Catalyst - I chickened out - black and blue and expected.

Anonymous said...

Crocs or Danskos?

Charlestonjoan said...

I am the Dansko queen!

Ma' said...

I'd read about killing weeds w/ boiling water in Martha Stewart living, but never tried it--keep us posted on your progress. Rather than have the "bug guy" put chemicals in my house, I've used Hot Shot Natural insect control spray around my outside doors this summer. The Palmetto bugs make it in the back door, but they're belly up soon after. I'm all in favor of any eco-friendly ways to kill weeds &/or bugs!