25 January 2012

Abandoned Gas Station

Wentworth St., Charleston, S.C.
This sweet brick gas station on Wentworth St. has been abandoned as long as I remember. Does anyone know more about it? I've never noticed it for sale so there must be a reason but in theory it would make a cute little house. I'd love to see it fixed up and occupied.

Ohhh....I am having a hard time making myself go for my walk lately. I hit my favorite corner of my couch and don't want to budge, but I did it. I marched the King, Meeting, Broad St. loop in the dark. The more you learn, the more getting some exercise seems to be THE most important thing to do to stay healthy and I really enjoy being healthy. I sit on my tail too much of the day clicking away at my keyboard. I have to get out moving fast in the evening to make up for it. 

I stopped by Fish restaurant to return the giant French flag they loaned me to celebrate a French theme day in our hospital cafeteria. It was a big hit! They also gave me the contact info for a wandering accordionist who played French cafe music. Can you picture me trying to fold up this flag to return? Thanks to Randall Goldman and Jodie Battles for making our day so successful.


In other news, how am I supposed to make a black bean burrito with three cans of garbanzo beans and no black beans? What kind of a kitchen am I running around here. A pretty poor one.


4 comments:

Agricola said...

That site has been a gas station for as long as I can remember, but it was most recently the home of a solar power contractor and its successor. I believe that it was built around the same time as another gas station on Meeting (across from the fireproof building)and another on Meeting across from the Washington Light Infantry I seem to recall a story that they were built with bricks and slate from houses that were torn down before we became a little more aware of the need for preservation

Kate said...

I admire your resolve for exercise. Good for you (in more ways than one!) I, too, love that old building and can imagine all kinds of uses of it: a craft shop, candy and confectionary store, small art and photography gallery, bead store, ...and the list goes on

re said...

I always wanted that to be an adorable bakery/cafe...that patio area with those roll up doors could be just divine. Le sigh.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Agricola. Now I will need to check on the other ones.

Kate - I am pretty good at my walking routine. It works for me and it's free!

bereccah - It would be perfect. It was suggested in a FB comment that the soil was so contaminated from when it was a gas station that it was cost prohibitive to restore it for anything else. Too bad, eh?