29 January 2012

Spring Blossoms in January?

Duncan St., Charleston, S.C.
Look at these blossoms! In January? This is very odd. A cold snap could do some serious damage at this point. These are on Duncan St. The old sign on that little building says "R & M Sweet Shop" although it is too faded to read easily. 
 

I spent this afternoon at the Our Lady of Mercy Community Outreach Auction and luncheon at the Charleston Marriott. Our Lady of Mercy has an Outreach Mission on Johns Island offering free dental and ob/gyn visits, English as a second language and GED classes. It is a pretty impressive operation and a good thing to support. I am glad some people had more money than I do to bid on the grand but expensive auction items. I think they did very well!

I hope everyone has had a good weekend and that everyone who went to the Lowcountry Oyster Festival didn't spend all day in traffic.


14 comments:

Suzie said...

Joan, what are those trees with the pink flowers. I found one at Middleton and love it! I just don't know what it is.

You certainly called it with the traffic from the Oyster Fest - it was very, very bad on 17 and on Longpoint. Fortunately I didn't get caught but it was terrible. We had a roast next door last night. Such a warm winter! Love it!
Have a good week!

Charlestonjoan said...

Susie - google images for Saucer Magnolias - beautiful! There is a gal who has a lowcountry blog called Children of the Corm: A Garden Blog. She named them today so I cheated :). She is on my blog links.

Laura said...

Hi Joan! My mother is the finance mgr at OLM, she worked the event today! So happy you went. OLM has a sister organization called The Neighborhood House downtown. I teach computer classes and serve lunch there daily. You should check it out!!

Charlestonjoan said...

Laura - That is great! I need to check it out! I am more familiar with the Outreach on Johns Island. Annette in the Wellness House is an old buddy of mine. I used to work with Dr. Principe in the good old days. He does their prenatal visits. I saw a lot of familiar faces this afternoon. You are doing good work.

brattcat said...

fingers crossed that no cold snaps make an appearance in charleston.

john prince said...

That's an Asian Magnolia of some variety, Joan, and they typically bloom in January to February in the South.

Lowandslow said...

I hope the outreach auction was a success. Lord knows there are a lot of people these days who need help.

S

Tanya Breese said...

oh that top image is gorgeous!

Kate said...

I especially like the composition of the top photo; the bottom photo ain't bad either!!

Charlestonjoan said...

It is just the end of January. Often we do get a cold spell in February. Fingers crossed indeed!

Charlestonjoan said...

I'd always heard it called a Tulip Tree and they do look like tulips but it looks like they are called Saucer Magnolias. The are among the first to bloom here but not usually in January. This is crazy.

Charlestonjoan said...

They do good work and yes, it was a success. People were very generous.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Tanya! It is a small rustic looking cottage with an eclectic garden. The owner is a bit of a character.

john Prince said...

Yes, they are Tulip Mags also. They bloom here in late january or early Feb. often.