25 February 2012

Saturday Chores

Carolina Yacht Club, Charleston, S.C.
This is part of the Carolina Yacht Club on East Bay St. If I recall correctly this building used to be owned by the Shriners. I remember being at events there before it was absorbed by the Yacht Club.

Is everyone having a nice relaxing Saturday? I'm not. I roped my son into coming over to help me clean out the attic. Aaaaack. Why do people ever put things in the attic? We had boxes of books from twenty five years ago. I asked him if he wanted the dusty copy of Modern Electronics. Heheh.

I found the dolls I mailed home to my daughter from Hong Kong before the British turned it over to China. They were copied from the Cabbage Patch dolls and called Rice Paddy dolls and instead of birth certificates they came with British passports to get them out of Hong Kong before the change. Cute.

I think I need a long soak, a cuppa tea and a Klondike bar as a reward.

10 comments:

Donna Gill Colestock said...

Lots of times old books have value. Did you at least donate them? :-)

Lowandslow said...

We've been cleaning out drawers, cabinets, and closets today, too. We're moving in a month and I'm determined to have things boxed and ready come moving day. Fortunately I don't move that often, so this is bearable. Any luck selling your home yet?

S

chuckography said...

Yikes Joan! My task today was the basement/workshop. Clearing access to interior walls for a termite Shock & Awe attack on Monday. Fortunately, 10 friends from my Photo Group came and we filled a rented 10 yard dumpster...and more. Surprise find: colorful pinups from a 1941 calendar. Dad?!

Catalyst said...

SWMBO is driving to Flagstaff tomorrow for an annual Oscar watching party. I was getting the car ready for her today and lifted the hood to check the oil. There was the cap for the filler tube lying loosely on top of the engine. I think I last checked the oil about a month ago.

Charlestonjoan said...

I sorted them all. Most were text books that were too dated to be of any use. I still have a couple boxes to deal with. Some had been....ahem, nibbled on a little.

Charlestonjoan said...

My house has been for sale a lot longer than I have mentioned here. I actually do have a nibble so I am doing some of the dirty work. Wish me luck!

Charlestonjoan said...

I saw the pictures on facebook but didn't know it was YOUR basement! I should have called for a work party, eh?! Wore me out. Looks like you had fun.

Charlestonjoan said...

Good catch! Wish that had happened to me the time I dropped my key in under the hood. I drove the car back and forth in the driveway hoping to shake it loose and make it drop out but it never did.

Marcheline said...

Must be the spring fever setting in... we've just made our first foray into the attic for junk removal, too. Actually, I had nearly a truckload of stuff to go to the dump (old computer desk) so I just nipped up into the attic and grabbed a few things that obviously needed to go, and threw them in with the lot. Might as well make the trip worth it, eh? GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HOUSE!!!! *toes crossed*

Charlestonjoan said...

Thank you! House inspection this week so crossing my fingers. With these old houses there will always be things to deal with. If it happens I will have lots more to clean up!