24 March 2012

Walking for Water

Walk for Water, Charleston, S.C. 2012
I am a strong supporter of Water Missions International. I love their very practical water purification system that can turn muddy, contaminated water into pure drinking water. Love it. A few years ago the health system I work for sponsored the shipment and installation of one of the units for a small hospital in Eldoret, Kenya and I got to go to document it.

Today was the annual fundraising Walk for Water in Charleston. The skies were cloudy but we were spared the rain and a cheerful crowd started in Canon Park carrying empty buckets and filled them up with murky water at White Point Gardens to carry back and get some idea of what most of the world has to do on a daily basis. It's a great cause and I am so proud that it is based right here in Charleston. They welcome you to come and see the units being made if you are interested. The enthusiasm is contagious!

Find your photos at this link: Walk for Water 2012

 

4 comments:

Kate said...

Wonderful medley of photos for a very important and life-saving cause. Since spending time in many developing countries and our own New Mexico that suffers terribly from a drought and water shortage, I have become quite conscious of my own water use. Not nearly as disciplined as I should be, tho.

Ma' said...

I walked w/ "Team Crosby"--great, well organized, worthwhile event. Great shots you got, Joan.

Charlestonjoan said...

I try as well Kate. I leave my dishes in the dishwasher until it is completely FULL :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh, I wish I'd known! I would have tried to catch you. I usually run in front of the walkers to get shots and then pause at the photo ops. I good day.