19 November 2012

DeVine House

Duncan & Coming St., Charleston, S.C.
I checked on the vine crop growing on the house at Duncan and Coming and things are slow this year. This house is normally completely covered by the greenery by this time of year. Hmmmm. Did we have an early drought? One year I took pictures almost every week to follow the vine as it took over the house.

I saw the Lincoln movie yesterday and loved every minute of it. Daniel Day Lewis is the most perfect Lincoln. Wow. Catch it if you can. It did motivate me to come home and do more research on Lincoln, the period and his family. I wondered if he had any descendants and was startled to find the only possible descendant had been born six years after his father had had a vasectomy. I guess that child can't boast that Lincoln was his great, great granddaddy.

Rebeccah lists her favorite Southern Sentimentalities and I found myself nodding and saying, "that is so true!"

From bird dogs to bad dogs, I believe this writer/doggie event requires a reservations:
Literary Dogs & Their South Carolina Writers: Charleston authors and their canines will be on hand to celebrate the launch of Literary Dogs and Their South Carolina Writers at the Charleston Library Society on Tuesday, Nov. 27, from 5-7 p.m.  Mary Alice Monroe, Josephine Humphreys, Marjory Wentworth, Nicole Seitz, Beth Webb Hart and others will "meet and greet," present their dogs, and provide a panel discussion about writers and their dogs before the book signing and reception.  Blue Bicycle Books and Hub City Press join the Library Society as sponsors of this event.
In "Literary Dogs & Their South Carolina Writers" twenty-five of the Palmetto State's most beloved authors introduce you to their most memorable dogs. There is Padgett Powell's "Ode to Spode," Josephine Humphreys' paean to a poodle, and Roger Pinckney's Daufuskie Dog-ageddon. Meet Marshall Chapman's Impy, Mindy Friddle's Otto, Beth Webb Hart's Bo Peep, and more. From bird dogs to bad dogs, wild dogs to café dogs, get to know these canines and their literary companions. 
How many more work days in this week? TWO! Yipee!

6 comments:

Marcheline said...

Well, bully for you! I have to work every day through Friday, as trans-ocean aircraft don't eat turkey. Bear and I are having our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday... perhaps we'll pop out and catch "Lincoln" too! Happy gobbling!

Catalyst said...

I have "Lincoln" on my screen for one to see in a real theatre.

Charlestonjoan said...

Bummer. I had many years of working major holidays. It makes getting them off even more delicious.

Charlestonjoan said...

Yes! Go see it if you can.

Unknown said...

Jeg hadde mange års arbeid store helligdager. Det gjør får dem av enda mer deilig

om huskatalog

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great information you share! From movies to food, Charleston and beyond, your posts are always interesting and I look forward to reading them!