24 February 2014

Bowens Island Oyster Roast

Oysters at Bowens Island, Charleston, S.C.
There are work related events and then there are work related events. When a friend invited me to go to an oyster roast at Bowens Island supporting the Lowcountry Senior Center yesterday afternoon I said, "Yes, I can!" It is supposed to be cool and crisp outside for an oyster roast and we were right on the money.

I hadn't been out to Bowens Island for a while and wanted to see what they had done with the place since the fire. Sadly most of the old graffiti burned down but the oyster room is intact (not that you can tell the difference) and people are quickly writing on all the walls to return it to the original condition.
 

 
 

7 comments:

William Kendall said...

Writing on the walls is allowed?

Janie said...

Is that Sister Rosie in the top photo, center? Lookin' good!

Catalyst said...

I hope you didn't eat any of them raw.

Charlestonjoan said...

Yes, it is covered with scribbles. That was one of the great losses when they had a fire, people liked going back to visit their old inscriptions.

Charlestonjoan said...

That is Sr. Rosie! She ate a hotdog :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Nah.....I like my seafood cooked, particularly my sushi. Heheh. They were steamed oysters.

Marcheline said...

Mmmmmm.... I LOVE OYSTERS! Steamed, raw, I don't care. Just PUT THEM IN MAH BELLLLLYYYYYY!