30 August 2014

Seashell decorations


Seashell decorations at Botany Beach, Edisto, S.C.
Since you are asked not to take seashells from Botany Bay beach, people have been decorating with them for years. They are laid in designs in the sand, hanging from palmetto tree bark and hanging from the tips of smooth driftwood like holiday ornaments. Between the dangling shells, swooping flocks of pelicans and driftwood branches, there is something about it that delights me so much I don't know why I leave it so long between visits.

There are no t-shirt or ice cream vendors, no restaurants or bathroom facilities so this incredible beach is usually a peaceful treat. We took a snack and sat on giant driftwood logs for our picnic, counted off the loggerhead turtle nests and had a wonderful time before heading on to Edisto Beach for lunch. Day one of my three day weekend was a grand success. I hope yours was as well!



6 comments:

William Kendall said...

My mother had one of those for many years. I have no idea what's become of it. Beautiful shots!

Pixel Peeper said...

It sounds like a perfect place for some quiet relaxation. Why don't they want you to take sea shells from there?

Les said...

On Ocracoke Is. in NC, I found a fence made out of driftwood that had been adorned with all kinds of mementos to lost islanders, including conks and whelks that had the departeds' names and dates written on them.

Charlestonjoan said...

I think they don't want it scavenged to empty. At first they let you take a few but I imagine it is hard to control. Not many beaches has so many shells around here. This is a treat.

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh wow! What a great find!

Charlestonjoan said...

They are lovely, aren't they. Kids always like to put them to their ears to hear the ocean.