01 April 2015

Ship Shape for Adventure


The Adventure, Charles Towne Landing, Charleston, S.C. 
Charles Towne Landing is the home base of the Adventure, a 17th century replica ship. I always drop by for a visit when I am in the park. We have a few other cool replica ships in town today and I am kicking myself that I was cooped up in my office when they sailed into the harbor.

The Nina and Pinta have arrived in Charleston. I remember when they were here many years ago and then I was in New York City high up in the Statue of Liberty when they sailed into the harbor there. I hope I have a chance to see them. In case you do, here is the scoop:

Charleston, S.C. -- More than 520 years after Christopher Columbus’ three ships landed in the Bahamas, two of them will make an appearance in South Carolina.
On Wednesday at noon, replicas of Columbus’ ships - the Niña and the Pinta - will arrive in Charleston in preparation for self-guided tours that will be offered on Thursday.
Built and provided by the Columbus Foundation of the British Virgin Isles, the two ships travel the coast to offer the public a glimpse into 15th Century life. The Niña replica may provide a more accurate glimpse, however, as it was built by hand without the use of power tools.
The walk-aboard, self-guided tours will be conducted Thursday between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, $6 for children between ages five and 16 and free for children under four.
Though reservations are unnecessary, any teacher or organization interested in scheduling a guided tour is encouraged to call (787)672-2152 or fill out an online form at www.ninapinta.org.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

A blog friend south of you mentioned some days back about those two replica ships being in harbour near her place. I wouldn't mind seeing that!