20 August 2015

Prince Frederick's Episcopal Church

Prince Frederick's Episcopal Church, SC  
I did not take these shots today because I have been busy at work all day but I've had them tucked away in my Back-roads album waiting for a chance to be featured. These are some pretty dramatic church ruins to come across on a quiet country road.
(Prince Frederick’s Episcopal Church) Begun in 1859 and completed in 1876, Prince Frederick’s Chapel played a vital role in the religious life of the Pee Dee settlers in the latter half of the 19th century. With the decline of the rice economy, parishioners migrated to the more densely populated urban areas and the church suffered from lack of maintenance. The ruins of the chapel are all that remain of what once was a striking example of Gothic Revival architecture in South Carolina.



3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Even as ruins, it's beautiful. Unfortunately the fence is no doubt needed at this point.

Cotton Boll Conspiracy said...

Beautiful, indeed. Sad that a fence is required.

Charlestonjoan said...

Yes, the fence did mess with my image but I think there has been some vandalism.