28 September 2015

Straighten up, Charleston!

Charleston Single House, Charleston, SC  
Straighten up, Charleston! I remember thinking what an odd look this was when I first moved here. The porches or piazzas are built on a slant so the rain water runs off and since so many open porches have a front door they must be trimmed to fit.

Parts Unknown featured Anthony Bourdain in Cuba last night which was of interest to me since I've put a down payment on a trip in January. Now the preview is out for the Charleston visit which includes Chef Sean Brock and Bill Murray and will air November 15. This looks like fun!

7 comments:

Kate said...

There's a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons – Emily Dickinson

Good information, Joan. I didn't know about this architectural "defect"! You will LOVE Cuba; so glad that I traveled there about 2 years ago. The people are marvelous, Old Havana is great, and I hope that you travel to the interior, which I really loved. DH recorded the Cuba program for me and will watch it this morning.

William Kendall said...

Ah, that would explain it!

Catalyst said...

I saw a tease for Bourdain's Charleston show which has Bill Murray raving about the food in the restaurants. I may have to watch it.

Charlestonjoan said...

I am really looking forward to it! Hope to get there before the rush.

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh, it looks good doesn't it? With Sean Brock and Bill Murray together!

Marcheline said...

Dang, I'll have to catch the rerun... have been dreaming about Cuba for years. Can't wait to live your trip vicariously! Love the tilty porches, by the way...

Paul said...

Nice architectural feature, that! :) I am planning to go to Cuba next year, too! I just don't know when.