21 May 2017

Ending Petlessness

EcoSphere

I smiled last fall when we noticed huge billboards in Portland, Oregon that promoted "Ending Petlessness" but now I have my own pets! I don't have to rush home to feed them or take them out for walks. Inside the glass globe is a totally enclosed ecosystem - a complete, self-contained and self-sustaining miniature world encased in glass with tiny shrimp swimming around. I will admit they weren't eager to pose for my camera. The little pink blur in the center was one of them swimming by. 
EcoSphere: Inside each EcoSphere are active micro-organisms, small shrimp, algae and bacteria, each existing in filtered sea water. Because the EcoSphere is a self-sustaining ecosystem, you never have to feed the life within. Simply provide your EcoSphere with a source of indirect natural or artificial light and enjoy this aesthetic blend of art and science, beauty and balance.
I've been a bit out of commission lately and have missed grabbing pictures of activities in Charleston. Meanwhile check out Vanessa Kauffman's great pictures of the Tall Ship Festival.

7 comments:

William Kendall said...

That's the first I've heard of that.

rob eades said...

seamonkeys?

VanessaK said...

Thanks for the referral :) Must say that's an interesting pet concept. What will they think of next!!

Catalyst said...

EcoSphere. Sounds like a great idea.

Marcheline said...

Do the tiny shrimp grow into full sized shrimp?

Charlestonjoan said...

It reminded me of sea monkeys!

Charlestonjoan said...

No! They stay tiny. Reading the reviews some of them have stayed alive for years.